Ric Bucher reports the Wolves are set to extend David Kahn as POBO for at least one more season. And no, Flip Saunders didn’t turn down the Gophers coaching gig because he’s already secretly agreed to replace Kahn at 600 1st Ave:
Latest on Flip Saunders and Minnesota Timberwolves: source says David Kahn’s position as GM is secure and that the one-year option on his contract, if it has not been exercised already by the TWolves, will be shortly.
What does this mean? More below the fold.
There seem to be five possibilities:
- The Wolves don’t expect to be able to re-sign Kevin Love regardless of who’s POBO and like Kahn enough to move ahead with him, post-Love. (Check out Matt Moore’s take on how Kahn’s re-signing might affect Love’s decision here.)
- They either know or believe keeping Kahn around won’t prevent them from retaining Love.
- They value Rubio more than Love and believe Kahn has a better chance than whomever would replace him. Hence, you retain Kahn. #3 is not mutually exclusive with #1.
- A real GM wouldn’t come here unless he were promised he’d have teeth. Get to decide things. Make personnel calls. Rick Adelman & Co. currently have those authorities, it seems. Keeping Rick Adelman thus requires keeping a lame-duck POBO. So you retain Kahn. Problem solved. (Hopefully that would mean that the Wolves have assurance from Adelman that he will indeed return.)
- There is no strategy. Retaining Kahn is the easy thing to do. I mean, who really wants to go through another search like the one that netted Kahn in 2009?
So, which one is it? Did I miss any? Let me know in the Kahnments section.